Career portfolios are a visual representation of your abilities, skills, capabilities, knowledge, qualities and it represents your potential. Physically, it's a collection of things - tangible materials - that represent work-related events in your life. But, always remember that you may have developed skills that are now work-related while pursuing hobbies, or volunteer activities, or simple pursuing your interests. The portfolio provides "evidence" of your potential by demonstrating what you accomplished in the past.
Your career portfolio provides you with a convenient place to keep a record of your personal development, and can assist you in making good decisions about your future, and planning effective strategies to achieve the goals you have set academically and professionally in your future career.
You may wonder what a portfolio is supposed to contain. You will include in your portfolio all of your accomplishments—most recent ones are best, but anything you think is still relevant is appropriate. It may include but not limited to the following:
- Typed letter of introduction/cover letter
- Typed resume
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- Three (3) samples of your work/projects
- Official college transcript(s) (optional)
- Diplomas, certificates, CEUs, licenses
- Special training (military, private institute, business, etc.)
- Awards, honors, honor society memberships
- Internships, apprenticeships, special projects
- Future goals and attributes that are beneficial
- Copies of your personal interests and achievements
- Anything of relevance that you would like to showcase
A portfolio is very valuable because will stay with you for your entire career. You will add to it regularly as you master certain skills relevant to your career objectives.
Career Innovations puts the pieces together for you. We will create a career portfolio that will accurately represent you in all areas of your career.